This is a very demanding starting hole that requires a tee shot to the left center of the fairway. A menacing bunker protects the entry to the right side of the green, which is only 17 yards in depth. Fanno Creek guards the left and back side of this great hole. The rhododendrons, which add beauty to the bank behind the green, were donated in the 1950’s by club member Ray Lesher.
Donald Junor, born in Aberdeenshire Scotland in 1889, came to Portland Golf Club in 1920. Five of his brothers were Greens Keepers or Golf Professionals. He was the oldest Greens Keeper on the Pacific Coast in years of experience. He was the first to use a tractor on he golf course and the first to water greens and fairways- truly the dean of his trade.
The drive from the elevated tee must avoid a large driving bunker on the right side of the fairway. The second short requires a long to middle iron to a slightly crowned green with bunkers on both sides of the green.
In 1984 The Oregonian listed this hole as one of the best 18 in Oregon. In the 1986 Fred Meyer Challenge this hole played to a stroke average of 3.875 which tied it with numbers 4, 8, 16, and 17 as the third most difficult hole in the tournament.
This is one of the original nine holes of the Portland Golf Club. The trees on the nine holes were planted in the middle nineteen- twenties. It used to be wide open.
This is a sleeper hole with its troublesome bunker in the right landing area 230 yards from the tee and large trees down the left side, which block out the entire left half of the two-tiered green. Both the lay-up tee shot and the wedge second shot must be precisely struck to negate the tricky putting surface and out-of-bounds lurking only 12 feet in back of the green.
The trees on the left were originally of no consequence or challenge. Now they have grown to a height that necessitates a tee shot to the right side of the fairway. Lighthouse Harry Cooper, the National Open Champion in about 1930, played over the trees on this tee shot. It’s different now.
A good spectator hole, this 9-iron shot yields more hole-in-ones than any other par 3 in the area. Expect birdies here if the tee shots are properly placed below the cup of this sloping green.
The green is totally surrounded by bunkers. Although there are many hole-in-ones, most are accomplished when the hole is placed on the middle or right side of the green. Put the hole high left and there will be many a bogey and seldom a hole-in-one.
Ben Hogan hit anything from a wedge to a 7-iron on this hole.
Players must avoid the boundary fence running down the left side of this pretty par 5. A solid drive to the shallow swale will leave a wood or long iron to the green. Trouble lurks behind the green down a steep bank for shots hit too aggressively and in front where two large bunkers will grab weak second shots.
A new tee box built in August 2002 lowered the blue tee five feet. The hole now plays approximately 10 yards longer. This tee was the site of the ranch house which was part of the old homestead. The fifth fairway and practice area were part of a large apple orchard. The homestead was bounded by Nicol Road, which is the section line. None of the holes on the first nine have been changed. They remain as originally laid out in 1914.
This hole plays longer than its yardage, as the drive over Fanno Creek tends to check in the tight uphill landing areas. The banked green slopes severely from back to front with blind bunkers to the left and right.
This hole got its name because of a riding academy and barn to the left of the hole. It was owned and operated by the Nicol Family, which is why the Road to the left of the 5th and 6th holes bear their name. Porky Oliver, playing against Ben Hogan in the PGA Championship, hit his second shot four feet from the hole. He lost the hole to Hogan’s par. Just this side of Fanno Creek was a gate where Mr. Nicol and Mr. Lawrence used to let their sheep enter the course for grazing. In the early days there were no mowers and the greens were sand.
More beautiful than difficult, this short downhill hole often yields birdies. Featuring a lake which was dredged by horses in the 1920’s, renovations have made the hole more beautiful and challenging, while still maintaining its traditional character. The green has evolved with a design that brings the water closer to the green, making for some great tournament pins on the front left side, along with reshaped bunkers to toughen up this par four.
This hole was designed in 1923 by the late Mr. Bristol, at his own expense, with the help of Walter Hagen. Mr. Bristol also funded the original Pro Shop, which is now the site of the equipment shed.
An excellent 3- to 5-iron test to a green surrounded by four bunkers with Fanno Creek paralleling the left side, collecting any shot hooked or pulled a bit too much. The large back to front sloping green will create long breaking putts that will be hard to get close. This is an excellent spectator hole.
A "blind bogey hole" prior to 1923, players could not see the flag or the green from the tee. A large hillock, about 20 feet high and near the front of the green, running laterally across the fairway, hid green from view. A bulldozer removed what divoteers could not.
The contour and undulations of the tightly-trapped original green turn a fairly easy par 4 into an exciting experience for both player and spectator watching from the clubhouse. Like so many of Portland Golf Club’s greens, the approach shot must be carefully placed beneath the hole, as many three putts have scorned a player on this green.
Adjacent to this tee are the two artesian wells from which additional water for the course is obtained. The ninth green is as nature made it- no dirt was moved in its construction and the original contour remains.
This pleasing hole starts the demanding back nine, which includes three par 5’s. The 10th green is reachable in two shots for longer hitters, but the player must guard against hazards in the narrow landing area on the second shot. These hazards include Fanno Creek on the left and a mere 15 feet from the back of the back of the green, plus green-side bunkers The Driving bunker on the right side of the fairway is typical of the Robert Trent Jones design, providing a psychological and physical handicap for many players.
Also known as "The Beaver Hole", as about the time Donald Junor came to PGC, a Beaver colony was logging and building a dam across the Creek behind the green.
A beautiful uphill hole starting with a tee shot across the lake. The slope of the fairway takes a lot off the tee shot and leaves a blind shot to the elevated green.
The Casper Hole… three time Portland Open Champion, Billy Casper, played this hole eight times during the 1950-1960 tournaments. The man with “the soft touch” made seven birdies and a par- a remarkable record on a difficult hole.
The course’s longest and most testing par 3 plays downhill to a well-bunkered green, surrounded by trees and out-of bounds on the left perimeter. Considered a challenging Par 3 by veteran players, even in best-ball competition, eight of the greatest players in the world averaged 3.00 strokes on number 12 in the 1986 Fred Meyer Challenge.
Original PGC Members walked across a bridge and up the hill to the first clubhouse, which was located by the current 7th tee. When this club was founded, the only access to the links from the city was by train, as there were not auto roads in the area. A deep swamp lay at the bottom of this hole and the golfers entered over a suspension bridge.
This holes' two-tiered sloping green offers excellent pin placements and a target that must be hit in regulation if bogeys are to be avoided. A large fir tree on the left in the driving area and a fairway which falls away towards water on the right force advanced players to use a long iron or fairway wood off the tee. Ben Hogan considered this a demanding par 4 when it was 30 yards shorter.
The new green, which was designed by Robert Trent Jones, Sr., was built in 1969, with PGC hosting the Alcan. Dan Sikes hit two balls into the trees, making an 8 and still shot a 68. A study of the scores by the perennial scorekeeper R.S. Dornberger in the many tournaments held at Portland Golf Club has shown this to be our most difficult hole.
This hole's tee shot is like coming out of a large shute, as large fir trees border each side of the fairway for approximately 125 yards. The second shot is long for most players, with a hidden bunker guarding the greens right front entrance and another deep bunker guarding the left. OB exists along the back perimeter of the green. Many a great player has made the statement: “Take par on holes number 11, 12, 13, 14- and be happy”.
If you think the narrow opening on this hole is difficult, it toughens further with a bunker about 150 yards from the tee. A perfectly placed hazard for the long hitters that venture left.
Players will stand on the tee in fear of the large fir approximately 140 yards off the tee with OB to the left. Two good shots are required to set up a short shot into a green which is only 11 yards deep in some areas.
A railroad originally bordered this hole. An entire engine and half the car turned over opposite the green in the mid forties. In later years it was a bridle path for The Nicol Academy and Hunt Club (Meyer Estate).
Firlock Hole… this was the site of Firlock Station on the old Oregon Electric- the only way to get to the Portland Golf Club prior to 1916.
A precise tee shot is absolutely necessary to have a clear or decent second shot into this green. Anything left allows no shot to the green, and long right will end up in a strategically placed bunker. The green is protected with an oak tree that overhangs the left side of the green, making the placement of the shot important. In the 1982 USGA Senior Open, The 16th hole was the most difficult hole to par.
Fanno Creek originally ran from behind the 14th tee, across the middle of the 16th fairway and in front of the 17th green, where the big trap is now located. The creek was diverted to its present location in 1925.
This well defended green was scene of a 4-shot swing that dissipated the 6-shot lead Lee Trevino took to the 16th tee in the Alcan, only to end up $40,000 poorer when Casper finished with four consecutive birdies. A tee shot must carry the large front bunker to land on one of the most protected greens on the golf course, steering left of the creek on the right..
The creek ran immediately in front of the original green. After it was relocated, large grass bunkers framed either side of the approach to the green. Now, with four sets of tees, this par three is a real challenge. Sixteen inch trout have been caught by fishermen standing on the 17th green. The cold creek bent around the green prior to 1923 when work was installed.
This is a long, strong, uphill finishing hole. The large fir tree just off the right side of the tee, and a white birch tree on the left makes this 18th hole very demanding off the tee. Three great shots are required of most advanced golfers, to then have the opportunity faced on a tough putting surface. Better leave the ball below the hole or a 3 putt is commonly the result.
The present tee area was originally part of a shallow lake. The first 18th tee was where the ladies tee is now located and the lake extended about 90 yards down the fairway. The present tee was built in 1923 at which time the lake and marshy area were filled in.